November 13, 2012

Tiny

Looking at these people who have achieved things so completely beyond my league, its easy to read about their victories off a list like a roll call and gape in wonderment. I am not denied their opportunities, their mental and physical capabilities nor their potential, and yet they have out run me by bounds and leaps. Somehow or rather the admiration and painful realization that they are so far ahead keeps them as names in the news, more of a story then a human being who is not so different from myself.
It does come as a bit of a shock to have these giants portrayed in a more personal light, where you begin to learn about their hardships and troubles and to realize that glory isn't all that picturesque as it is glamorized to be. It is worn and torn, dipped with sweat and blood and tears of sacrifice and labor. Seeing these accomplished people whom I've come to idolize doubting themselves and their capabilities really does make you think: if they have reason to question themselves, what am I who pales in comparison supposed to do?

It is good, to really know that we have a lot to work towards and leagues to go. But the way I see it, if you are working hard towards something, it means that you have something bigger waiting for you at the finish line. Only those with a greater future ahead of them have the privilege of suffering through the journey. I may be tiny, irrelevant, minuscule; but some pretty amazing people have seen enough in me to invest their faith in what they believe that I can achieve, and that is enough reason in itself to strive for more. More than mediocre, more than "good enough", someone to be proud of being. I wear my battle scars proudly, the proud smiles and words hung over my neck like war medals. I will not settle and I will put in my entire heart and all it has to offer into everything that I do, I will put in the hard work and I will brave the heartache, I will become what they see in me, everything that I know I can be.


In the mean time though, I do feel the size of the universe weighing down on me and all the things that I'm not. I guess there will be many more of these moments to come, and its good to know that I can wake up tomorrow and do something about it. And that I never have to feel alone.


'We have our futures right in front of us. And I can't wait to get there with you by my side.'

No comments: